Remember that the danger isn’t over when the storm ends! Here are some tips for how to keep your family safe after a hurricane.
Be Safe Inside
- Never use an electrical device if it got wet. If it’s still plugged in, turn off the power at the main breaker. Wait for an electrician to check the device before using it.
- If the power is out, use flashlights instead of candles. If you have to use candles, keep them away from anything that can catch fire. Always stay near lit candles.
Be careful near damaged buildings
Keep in mind that hurricanes can damage buildings and make them unsafe. If your home or another building has been damaged, make sure it’s safe before going inside.
- Leave your home or another building right away if you hear shifting or unusual noises. Strange noises could mean it’s about to fall.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Gas or coal-burning equipment creates carbon monoxide. This can include equipment like generators, pressure washers, charcoal grills, and camp stoves. You can’t smell it or see it, but if carbon monoxide builds up in your home, it’s very dangerous. To keep your family safe:
- Never use gas or coal-burning equipment inside your home, basement, or garage. Keep it outside and at least 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.
- Never run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your home, even with the garage door open.
- Never heat your home with a gas oven.
- If you have a carbon monoxide detector and it starts beeping, leave your home right away and call 911.
To be safe, learn the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you think that carbon monoxide might have made you or a family member sick, go to a doctor or hospital right away.